On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 04:45:11PM -0700, andrew fresh wrote:
> OpenBSD Users:
>
> We have set up an site from which you can get OpenBSD Torrents.
>
> The site is http://openbsd.somedomain.net.
>
> The torrents are generated automatically on a server that is
> rsynced to ftp3.usa.openbsd.org every 4 hours.

  that's cool, but would it make sense to use > 4h?

  i suppose you probably thought about it, with respect to
  trying to not be too far from any potential update boundary,
  but also not being to 'annoying' to the server, and i guess
  the rsynch is not very heavy if there are no changes to be
  had... but it still seems kinda frequent for an automation
( i would think 8 hours should be still real ok, and that
  accounts for still being able to have checked for an update
  in the time it takes a person to leave the house for work
  and then come back afterwards ; maybe it would be
  worth trying to get some stats on the timestamps on the
  files in the different snapshots dirs and see how often
  the individual arch changes, generally, and have each $arch
  rsync based on that? -- just trying to think of netizen
  stuff )

  when the contents of a specific $arch directory changes,
  does that render out a new .torrent file and update the
  link in the -current section on the www; or does it just
  overwrite the same name of the torrent?

  if it is the latter, and you're seeding the torrent for
  may 12th i386 -current; and then the rsync updates that
  dir and a new .torrent is made, and then i d/l the new
  one and join it, do we collide or do we just not see
  each other (like, the torrent in the tracker is by
  hash of contents or something?)

  can i suggest that the torrents only have the subdir
  instead of OpenBSD/subdir?  maybe it is only me with
  the issue, or maybe it is just the way the two were
  hashed and their .torrents were made, but i have

<dir i made>/OpenBSD/snapshots <- i386 snapshots torrent
<dir i made>/OpenBSD/OpenBSD/songs <- songs

  after getting the i386 and the songs torrents, putting
  them in the same <dir i made> and running btdownloadcurses.py
  on them.

  jared

--

[ openbsd 3.7 GENERIC ( mar 18 ) // i386 ]