Can Erkin Acar wrote:

I can't see any problem report about this in my inbox
(which is quite a mess nowadays, so it is equally likely
that I missed it),

If you can spare some time to send me pppoe debug outputs,
tcpdumps with & without the debug flag, and if possible
logs/dumps from the cisco side, I we can do something
about the problem.

Can

Time to pull out the "I feel stupid" hat, as I think I've figured out exactly what went wrong... I wasn't able to recreate my problem at all on the currently functional system, so I grabbed my 486 and did a fresh install on it. Moved the modem over and rebooted. Sure enough, it had the same problem I originally experienced. It connected, got an IP address, but couldn't ping anything. Then I remembered that after installing, I've always needed to move /etc/mygate out of the way since ppp assigns the gateway as part of the connection process. So I renamed it, rebooted, and things worked exactly as they should. I must have done that at the same time I changed /etc/resolv.conf, and just not remembered. I'd be happy to submit a diff to the pppoe(4) manpage about this, once I figure out how to write one.

Can, there is no problem report in your inbox from me, as in all cases but one so far, the problem has been with me, not with the OS. I can't speak for Jason's Cisco issues, though.