On 6/5/05, poncenby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...] however in the process of writing my ppp.conf I noticed
> ppp can do the whole NAT thing itself.

Thanks for the learning moment: I hadn't known of that option until
reading your message. Therefore, feel free to take my words with a
grain of salt as I've obviously never tried ppp(8)-based NAT.

> Do any knowledgeable chaps on this list have an opinion on which is the
> best to use or perhaps some advantages/disadvantages of using either.

As long as I've used pf(4), I've been quite fond of it. It does pretty
much all the things I need and quite a bit more while being easy to
configure.

Using pf instead of ppp for your NAT needs will mainly provide you the
benefit of having your configuration in fewer places. Since you may
want to deploy some degree of firewalling, sticking with pf.conf may
be easier. Also, ppp(8) lives in userland, so I wouldn't be surprised
if it were slower than pf(4) in doing its NAT work.

That said, maybe pppoe(4) is of use to you as well. If you're on a DSL
line, for example. It's relatively new, but I haven't had problems
with it yet.

Cheers,

Rogier

--
If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there.