On 5/26/05, Rod.. Whitworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> When you have a modem that will do all the connection stuff I am amazed
> that anyone feels the need to do PPPoE.

I prefer to have control over (and visibility into) the PPP connection and NAT,
to this end I'm seriously considering getting rid of the external ADSL modem
entirely, migrating to a Sangoma S518 ADSL PCI card.

On 6/7/05, Can Erkin Acar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Melameth, Daniel D. wrote:
> > Prior to migrating to DSL, this same card was used for a cable
> > connection and doing more than 1.5Mb/s.
>
> This really does not mean much. It could be a negotiation problem.
> Was your old cable modem ethernet connection 10BaseT ?
>
> from a previous post ...
>
> > xl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> >          address: 00:04:75:ac:05:48
> >          media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)
>
> Perhaps your ADSL modem/switch  has problems negotiating with
> your card, or your cable might have problems.

It'd help if the OP can provide the output of 'netstat -in' after the PPPoE
has been up for a while.

> Full-duplex does not detect transmission errors, so you would
> not see them on netstat -i output. You could try setting
> media to "10BaseT half-duplex" this usually helps you notice
> if there is a problem, and can sometimes solve it.
>
> And do try another ethernet card if possible.

Seconded on both points.

One thing I've found very helpful in debugging PPPoE has been to use
either the "-tttt" (time between packets) or "-tt" (absolute epoch time)
options on tpcdump, watching the packets on both the real Ethernet
interface and the tunnel (pppoe0) interface, in two side-by-side
windows.

Kevin Kadow