Hi to all. I have been interested in BSD for about a year and have tried
all of the three most popular free ones.

I would like to start by saying something good: OpenBSD was a very pleasant
surprise to me. After trying FreeBSD and NetBSD, I left OpenBSD to the end
of the queue because of so many bad things I had heard about it, like "it's
slow" or "it's too difficult". I didn't find any of this while testing it.
Instead, this is my favorite BSD so far and I actually think I could use it
every day instead of Linux. I also want to build a server, BTW.

Now, the bad thing. Contrasting with the very good experience I had in my
tests, I have already installed it three times because of a problem that
beats the heck out of me. You certainly have heard about it before:

disk: fd0 hd0+
>> OpenBSD/i386 BOOT 2.02
open(hd0a:/etc/boot.conf: Invalid argument
boot>
booting hd0a:/bsd: open hd0a:/bsd: Invalid argument
 failed(22). will try /obsd
 boot>
 booting hd0a:/obsd: open hd0a:/obsd: Invalid argument
 failed(22). will try /bsd.old

My first line is different from "disk: fd0 hd0+" because I have three hard
disks. And I guess it's not BOOT 2.02 anymore. I have OpenBSD 3.7.
Actually, I copied the block above from the archives:

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/openbsd/2003-11/0143.html

It was very sad. In the first time, I could boot with the cd:

boot> boot hd0a:/bsd

But I couldn't find out how to fix the system and boot without the CD.
Reinstalling didn't work either. Neither did deleting and recreating the
disk labels. Actually, even if I format the slice with another file system,
the disk labels are still there when I try to reinstall. The only method
that worked for me was the following:

- Format the slice with another file system. In my case, ext2.

- Boot into Linux and copy an awful lot of data to that slice until no
space is left.

- Boot with the CD and reinstall everything all over again.

Yes, this method actually worked twice and had me piloting OpenBSD again.
That's when I tested OpenBSD and found it so good. But it only survives
about 4 or 5 reboots until that nasty problem bites me again. And in the
last two times, booting with "boot hd0a:/bsd" didn't work either.

Then I just gave up. What I have now is an unbootable slice. If I had
actual data in there, I wouldn't know what to do to have it back. But what
is also a very bad consequence is that now I am afraid of OpenBSD. All the
time during my tests, I stared nervously at the boot sequence waiting for
the strange problem to happen again. And, sure enough, it's happened three
times already in less than two days. I really liked all the rest of the
experience, but I don't think I'll have the courage to actually use it. I
almost formatted the slice to install something else and left OpenBSD
behind, but decided to take a shot and ask for a little enlightenment here.

Back to that message I found in the archives, it seems that the person that
signs as "herk" solved the problem with a BIOS update. Actually, I found
another case in Google of someone who had the same problem and also solved
the problem with a BIOS update.

But I don't want to go that way. I do not feel comfortable at all updating
my BIOS. Lots of things can go wrong and trash my motherboard. Besides, I
really would like someone to tell me why that has to be the only way if:

- I never had that problem with FreeBSD;

- I never had that problem with NetBSD;

- I never had that problem with Windows 95, 98 or 2000 (this machine never
saw and never will see XP);

- I never had that problem with any of the 10 or more Linux distros I have
tried, over 30 if we count multiple versions of these 10 distros as
individual distros.

In light of these facts, what would the technical explanation be for such a
discouraging flaw not to be viewed and addressed as a bug or, at least, a
shortcoming of OpenBSD?

Of course, alternative and effective solutions to my problem would be
greatly appreciated, but for now I only beg that you gentlemen at least
tell me, in very clear wording, why it is not considered a bug if it only
seems to happen with OpenBSD.

Many thanks in advance for your time and attention.

--
Luciano Espirito Santo
Santos, SP - Brasil