Steven Bowers wrote:
> Compgeeks is offering a 4port RTL8139D nic for an attractive price. I
> know the 8139 chipset is supported, not quite so sure of the 8138D.
> Can anyone speak for these cards? The price is nice and a 4port nic
> would be very handy.

CAREFUL...

If this:
  http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=A-3905&cat=NET
is what you are refering to, this is (probably) not quite what you think
it is.

I have a couple similarly marketed, similarly described cards (although,
with a cheap dc(4) chip), and while they are VERY useful, they are not
four-port NICs.  What it actually is is a single port NIC with a four
port switch.  I'm fairly sure this is the exact same thing.  Evidence:
the picture seems to show two moderately small chips, most quad-port
NICs have five chips -- four NICs and a PCI-PCI bridge.  COULD it be a
PCI-PCI bridge and a quad-port NIC chip?  Perhaps, but I'm not aware of
anyone putting four NICs on one chip.

Don't get me wrong, this kinda card is incredibly handy sometimes --
this one, like the two I have, has auto-cross-over, so you don't have to
be finding the cross-over cable when going PC-PC.  I use them in what I
call "portable DMZ" machines -- a PF machine which keeps an infected
machine from talking to anything on the 'net inside an office, but still
lets the machine talk to the outside world.  Also saves a bit of
rats-nest if you need one of those "mini-switches" behind your desk.
For what it is worth, I've paid a lot more than the $13 they are asking
there for those things...the first because I wanted to see what it
really was, the second because it is a useful tool.

Yeah, they sell 'em as "Windows routers".  I don't want to think about
how they do routing with one NIC.  Ick.

Nick.