On 6/17/05, Stephen Marley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 11:29:03AM -0500, dontek wrote:
> > I have just configured a VPN tunnel between two OpenBSD firewalls /
> > gateways following the VPN man page nearly word-for-word.  All is
> > working well... mostly:
> >
> > On either end, on machines behind the firewall, I can connect to any
> > service on any machine on the remote end.
> >
> > However, if I am on the the firewall machines themselves, I can ping
> > machines on the remote end, but service connection fails.
> >
> > for instance, I can ssh to a box on the remote end from a machine
> > behind the firewall, but if i attempt to ssh to the same remote box
> > from the firewall itself, i get a "connection refused".  This is true
> > on both ends.
> >
> > Are there additional rules I need to put into pf for this type of
> > connectivity?  What am I missing?
>
> I'll guess that the ping works because you're using ping -I to specify
> the source address as an internal lan address. However your ssh will
> have the firewall's external address as its source address and it will
> not get encapsulated since there are no flows defined for gateway to
> network, only network to network.

Actually, I am just doing a vanilla ping, no source address option.
When you say "flows", do you mean pf flows (rules)?

> You could define additional SAs for the gateway to network connections,

I tried adding pass rules from gateway(s) to network(s) and back,
similar to the network to network passes on enc0, but this did not
solve the problem.

> but I think just adding a route pointing to your inside interface will
> work. For example, if your gateway's internal address is 192.168.1.1 and
> the remote network is 10.10.10.0/24, on the gateway run:
>  route add 10.10.10/24 192.168.1.1

Adding the static routes indeed worked, however, I would still like to
understand this better and get it working via pf and not have to add
the routes.