Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 11:50:27 +0200
From: Thorsten Johannvorderbrueggen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Sparc Urani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Theo gave an interview to Forbes Mag. about Linux

Hello list,

i have to comment this discussion.

1). The world is not black nor white. The world is colorful!
2). I'm a windows hater and a unix lover

Sparc Urani wrote:

>based on my experience, Linux is not a good start for the beginners.
>for tough systems/network admins its bad. learning unix shall always
>start with OpenBSD as they can see the difference when try using Linux
>as their alternative OS.

3). Linux --> Linux is only the kernel and it's build tools. I think you
mean  a linux-distri. Ok, the most of them a really bad, but
4). have you ever used slackware? With slackware you have the total
control of your system. It's cool (ok it's not so cool as OBSD)!

>that was a very nice interview. Theo might encourage some other Linux
>guys to start spending with OpenBSD for life ;-).
>
>Sparc
>Computer Security Professional (CSP) has no reason to lie... to
>cheat... to steal... nor tolerate among those who do.
>
>On 6/18/05, Richard Welty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 18:23:51 +0200 "J. Lievisse Adriaanse"
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>>>Not everybody there is happy about Theo's words...oh well, what gives ;-)

5). Theo says what he thinks, and thats really good! I like
straightforward people! Theo says in the interview, what HE is thinking
about linux and Co. In some case a think he's right.

>>well, on the one hand, i largely agree with Theo, but on the other hand,
>>Dan Lyons of Forbes has been on an anti-open source kick for some time.
>>
>>me, i'd be very wary of becoming a tool in someone else's agenda.

6). Your're right (in my opinion). The main problem are companies like
MS and not Linux, OBSD or so!!!!! We shouln't start a religious war
(that's one reason, why i don't "like" Stall....)!!!!!!

>>richard
>>--
>>Richard Welty
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>Averill Park Networking
>>    Java, PHP, PostgreSQL, Unix, Linux, IP Network Engineering, Security
>>      "Well, if you're not going to expect unexpected flames,
>>         what's the point of going anywhere?" -- Truckle the Uncivil

7). If you want to learn kernel-developing, you have to write code. If
you write code for the linux kernel, you have a good chance o see YOUR
code in the kernel tree. If you have the time, you can get a maintainer!
Is it that simple with OBSD? I don't think so! But to become a
kernel-developer, you have to write "real" code! I in opinion it's
easier to become a linux-kernel-developer than to become a
OBSD-kernel-developer! --> That's the reason, why linux code is not as
good a OBSD-code!

8). In some cases you have to use linux: I have a Benq-Joybook-8000
laptop. It's a laptop, and a laptop is mobile. So i need the battery
state. On Slackware, no problem.OBSD only supports apm, no apci. Apm
won't work on OBSD (apm won't work on linux too) with my laptop. (Why i
use a Benq and not a IBM? Because i don't like the black boring .....).
To use my laptop as a laptop i need apci. At the moment i haven't got
the knowlegde to write an apci implemtation for OBSD --> so i have to
use slackware on it.

9). I think, that we (the people, who use OBSD) shouldn't flame linux
user. Only the real developer (Theo, ..) could do so!!!!!!

10). OpenBSD is a really good OS!!!!!! So i trie to migrate every
maschine from Linux to OBSD (like i did before, when i migrate from MS
to Linux. Since 2001 i have not MS - Maschine).

I hope you're not to angre with me! But i have to say this!

Bye
  Thorsten