On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 02:47:03PM -0700, John Draper wrote:
> But the "pkill syslogd" seems a reasonable thing to do,  but how do I
> set it back again?  One other problem I have is my "ps" don't work,
> but that problem is going to be fixed in my next scheduled upgrade.

If ps doesn't work, there's a good chance pkill won't either. (Perhaps
you just need to run kvm_mkdb and dev_mkdb to get ps working again?)

Try instead (copy and paste would be easiest):
 kill `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid`

If the box runs named (dns nameserver), restart syslogd as:
 syslogd -a /var/empty/dev/log -a /var/named/dev/log

otherwise it's just:
 syslogd -a /var/empty/dev/log

--
stephen