On 6/19/05, Timothy A. Napthali <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm fairly sure this is a hoax. I have seen this referenced several
> times over the past few weeks and I have seen no evidence to indicate
> and truth to the matter.
>
> Apart from the obvious legal implications outside of the US how long do
> you think Dell, HP or any other manufacturer would have customers for if
> this were true?

Not a hoax. Our security department ordered one as a demo piece for
our Security Awareness campaign. The legal ramifications are easy --
only put it on systems that you control, and make sure all users are
at least in theory aware of "monitoring" -- through a EULA, AUP, or
employee policy.

That being said, I doubt you'll ever get the major vendors to ship
them in their own products, at least unless you're the gummit or a
very very big client. The PR disaster if they shipped these to someone
with loose lips would be huge.

> See: http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/dellbug.asp

Yeah, this is probably a hoax, but the link in the initial post is
certainly not.

--
Systems Programmer, Senior
Electrical & Computer Engineering