Quoting Steven Bowers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> speaking are they all compatible? Are there specific brands/models to
> stay away from?

I have a USB2/Firewire combo unit based on the Prolific PL-3507 chipset.
It is problematic and doing a search for it with Google finds that many
other people have disasterous trouble with this garbage chipset.

Some can supposedly be almost fixed with firmware updates done via
software, but the first revision cant (desoldering required). I have the
first version but I'd rather stay away from them altogether.

A chipset to stay away from. Found in cheap units.

A have a USB2 Lacie 80GB unit which works well.

This email was sent from Netspace Webmail: http://www.netspace.net.au