On OpenBSD or FreeBSD?

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Joe . wrote:

Can you live with just one processor? You would probably have much
better luck with SMP disabled.

Joe

On 6/28/05, Matt Juszczak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi all,

Some of you have read my posts from the previous few days but I am really
stuck right now.  Sorry if this is repeated information for anyone.

We're running FreeBSD at work on our main mail server, which is now
crashing 2 times per day.  I need to find a new solution soon, or I could
risk losing my job which would really stink.

The machine itself is fine, and I know this because 1) I've tested the
memory and 2) This problem I am experiencing is occuring on more than one
machine.

OpenBSD is known for its stability, and I'm wondering what everyone's
opinion on stability would be with a SuperMicro Dual Xeon 3.06 ghz (SMP)
and 4 GM RAM, running postfix with LDAP and 10,000 users.  If I can get a
stable system up and running I'll be really happy.

Apparently, there is something called a ttwakeup bug and there's some SMP
code problems in FreeBSD 5.4 that wasn't apparent in 4.11 (which is why
that runs stable for me) causing all these problems.  I would hope that
with the branch off of OpenBSD these problems wouldn't exist in the OS.

Any responses would be appreciated :)

Regards,

Matt

!DSPAM:42c19294733741233197424!