On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 06:21:03PM +0100, Stephen Marley wrote:
> Firstly, I have no problems starting kdm from the command line or
> starting xdm from /etc/rc. However, if I start kdm from /etc/rc.local it
> won't take any keyboard input and I don't get text when I attempt switch
> virtual consoles (ctl-alt-del works to shutdown though).

It seems init needs to spawn all the getty processes before kdm starts.
Here are 2 solutions:

1. Let /etc/rc finish before kdm starts and wait for spawning of gettys.
/etc/rc.local:

if [ X"${kdm_flags}" != X"NO" ]; then
        echo -n ' kdm'; (sleep 5; /usr/local/bin/kdm ${kdm_flags}) &
fi

2. Let init start kdm and make sure gettys have spawned first. (Without
the sleep, kdm ends up on ttyC1 and that getty would need to be switched
off too).  /etc/ttys:

ttyC4  "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon"   unknown on  window="/bin/sleep 2"

--
stephen