* Steve Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [050630 05:03]:
> Hi,
>
> I am running OpenBSD 3.7-stable, pretty standard install, spamd
> greylisting, httpd, sendmail.  Going over my log files, I have noticed
> that I am more and more coming under attach with dictionary based login
> attempts to the SSH port.
>
> I tried to search the mail list, but I can't seem to find any magic
> combination of words that would reveal the secret to me.  Reading
> pf.conf(5) didn't shed any light either..
>
> Tonight I got 800+ attempts from the same IP.  I played with manually
> blocking the IP, but it was over before I got the firewall rules written
> and looked over them twice.
>
> Is there any way to block/limit the number of connections to a port in a
> given time period?  I was getting around 5 connects per second from the
> same IP/PORT (in Hungary :-( ).
>
> I can't think how this would work... unless there was a generic program
> like spamd in greylisting mode...  But I'm not the first person to have
> this problem, so there's likely a solution!  Can anyone shed some light?
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Williams

Check into configuring pf to use connection rate limiting and black
listing.

from pf.conf(5)

max-src-conn-rate _number_ / _seconds_
           Limit the rate of new connections over a time interval.  The
           connection rate is an approximation calculated as a moving
           average.

Check the archives for examples of this in conjuction with a table. Or
take a look at this article at Undeadly:

http://www.undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20041231195454

Jim