From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Matt Garman
Sent: 01 July 2005 16:06
To: OpenBSD Misc
Subject: read-only storage media

Is there any kind of storage media that can be set as read-only, and
only reset to read and write by physical access?

I'm thinking about something like the (seemingly ancient) 3.5"
floppy disks that had that little "switch" you could use to set the disk
to read only.

Are there any hard drives that have a similar kind of feature?

I'm thinking that this would be nice for a firewall machine: if the
machine was compromised, it still couldn't be modified (i.e., volumes
mounted read only can always be remounted read-write if the machine is
root compromised).

I'm thinking that I could burn a CD-R (and re-burn it whenever there's a
configuration change), but it seems like the system might have a lot of
latency and the CD-ROM drive might prematurely fail.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt

--