how about the mail store then? I suppose there'll have to be some
coordinated (and "thread-friendly") back-end mail store in place for
these front-end mail servers (*i'm assuming simplistic load-balancing
here - at the tcp level, rather than at the application level, or
splitting via userid, so that the different userids are actually
assigned to different mailstores).

-jf