Hi!

I plan to set up a fileserver using RAIDframe - I can't afford a hardware RAID-controller like Megaraid i4 (around EURO 280,--) and used ones are impossible to get, so I will use the software version. The raid will use 3 or 4 identical harddrives.
My questions:

- what is better, every drive use it's own IDE-channel (no master/slave) or not?

- will it make a difference, if I use two 2 channel controller or a 4 channel one (like HighPoint RocketRAID 454)?

- recommendations which controller(s) I should buy?

The board, which I will use is a ASUS P5A Super 7 with ALi Aladdin V chipset.

TIA and regards,

        Ulrich