On 7/27/05, Marco Peereboom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 10:24:18PM -0500, Matthew Bettinger wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend a decent rack server from HP, Dell, IBM or CDW
> > that will run OpenBSD for webserver use?  I would prefer a machine
> > that has SCSI drives with Mirror Raid capabilities.  I know I can go
> > piecemeal one from FRY's but I need one that can have a hardware
> > support agreement tied to it.
>
> I run heaps off Dell PowerEdge 1550, 1650, 1750 and 1850 without issues.

Similar results here.

The PE1850 is a solid machine, with (optional) dual power supplies, hardware
mirroring SCSI controller, and if you really want to get crazy, you
can even configure
it to use half the RAM as a "spare bank" so even a DIMM failure won't take the
server down (haven't tested this personally).

Some PE models can be ordered with your choice of embedded 'bge' or
'em' interfaces, go with 'em'.  Same goes for the RAID controller --
not all PERCs are the supported 'ami' LSILogic MegaRAID chipset;
the PERC4/ei in the 1850 is supported as of 3.7.

Lastly, most (all?) current PowerEdge products can be configured for
serial console in the BIOS, many have optional (not OpenBSD supported)
DRAC network management daughterboards for remote recovery from just
about any type of crash.  The OpenManage server runs on Linux or MS-Windows.

Kevin Kadow