From: Alexander Farber [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 10:19 PM
To: misc@openbsd.org
Subject: Sniffing pppoe

Hi,

probably a common situation to some people here:
I have an "ADSL-router", a box locked down by my ISP.
I could reset it, but then I'll lose the connection data.

Is there a way to connect my OpenBSD PC to it and to sniff the data (esp.
username, password) it sends?

The pppoe man page mentions, that it could "act as server", but how to set
it up? Which hardware is needed? Can I just connect the router's "DSL" jack
with a NIC on my PC?
If yes, should I take a crossover cable or a straight one?

Regards
Alex

PS: Don't worry about legal side - I haven't signed any
       agreements and I just want to forward the incoming
       ssh connections to an internal IP (and currently can't)