On Thursday 04 August 2005 04:47 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Unless I am very much mistaken, this is Unix not Multics.
> To do anything with the rings, you must make userland
> into a three-ring circus.

That is precisely the point. The C programming language and Unix are
incompatible with the x86 segmentation model, including rings, although
amazing accommodations were made within C for 286 segments by Intel
and Microsoft, et all before 386 flat  addressing took hold. While x86 rings
and segments were neat and useful, if extremely awkward to use within C,
they are rapidly disappearing into the dustbin of history.