Try increasing PF max number of states.

It is currently limited to 10000, so when you reach this no new traffic (that would create a state) is permitted until some of the old ones expire. The 10000 limit is ok for most machines, but definitely not for a busy server / firewall. (Same goes for the default httpd.conf, btw, which also requires tweaking for higher performance.)

Use "pfctl -s info" and check the "memory" counter, it indicates the number of states that could not be created due to the limit (presumably other mem failures too). You want to see "0" (zero) here.

See pf.conf(5), try "set limit states 50000" or so.

/H