Jim Fron wrote:
> I'm attempting to install OBSD 3.7 sparc on a Sparcstation 20.  I've
> been through installs numerous times on 20's, 2's, and an IPC using
> previous OBSD versions.
>
> Currently, I only have one install method -- floppy.  I could
> conceivably set up a netboot install or wrangle a CDR drive if need be.
>
> The problem is this: every time I attempt to install, I get part-way
> or all the way through the package download process, and the
> installer bombs, dumps hex to the screen, and drops back into OFW.  I
> don't have serial console, either: I'm using a monitor and keyboard,
> so it's tough to say what, if any, error messages may be present.
> The more packages I attempt to install, the more likely it is to
> crash in the middle of download.  If I reduce the packages to bsd and
> base37.tgz, I can often get as far as building nodes before the crash.
>
> This system seemed to happily run Solaris 7, booting all the way into
> CDE and running seeral apps at once without bombing, so I'm hesitant
> to start yanking RAM, but if that's the only thing suspect, I'll do it.

Sounds like one of two things:
either
1) No one has ever installed OpenBSD 3.7 on a SS20, and you have
discovered that it really doesn't work.
2) Your computer is broke.

While it may be argued that I am a "no one", it isn't due to the fact
that I have installed OpenBSD 3.7 on an SS20.  Two SS20, in fact,
testing both CDROM and floppy based installs.  It isn't #1.

Your computer is broke.  Get troubleshooting.

Your description sounds just like a memory problem, the more your
install, the more memory the system uses.  MAKEDEV uses a LOT of RAM.

If another OS fails on the same hardware, you can be pretty sure it is
bad hardware.  If another OS is still working, it is at best a
suggestion that it might NOT be hardware.

As the system is fully booting the kernel, I don't think it is a floppy
problem.

Nick.