On Wednesday 10 August 2005 10.18, you wrote:
> The fix for me was to not use graphical console.

Well, the install doc pretty much says "serial console", doesn't it?

----
Switching from serial to graphics console and vice versa:

    Booting the ramdisk kernel can be done from the ARCS graphic console
    although it might be more convenient to use the serial console since
    the kernel currently only supports the serial console. Some systems
    come with the serial console enabled by default but sometimes
    this must be changed.

    To change to serial console, go into the ARCS Maintenance Console
    and change the ``console'' environment variable, and power-cycle
    the machine.

    > setenv console d

    will select 9600 8N1, no flow control, serial console on the first
    serial port (labeled ``(1)''), while

    > setenv console g
-----

People put a lot of effort into writing these documents to make setting
up an OpenBSD system an easy task...

The reason you can see the output until the "Setting up"
is that this is the point where OpenBSD switches from the
ARCBios console to its own console driver.

P.