On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 03:25:56PM -0400, Will H. Backman wrote:
> > like, reading the dump and restore manpages?
> >

> Do you use dump and restore, or are you just giving and example?

Can't speak for Henning, but I use dump(8) and restore(8) at home,
on a server I rented from Strato, and for some boxes at our customer
(the latter running linux).

Depending on hardware and infrastructure, you can dump(8) to tape,
to a separate disk (that's not very safe, though), to a remote
machine via ssh, or to an ftp server. I do this all day from
/etc/daily.local or via a separate cronjob, and I never had any
problems, even when dumping mounted filesystems.

IMHO, one of the neat things in dump(8) and restore(8) is that you
get an file listing really fast in contrast to backups based on
tar(1), where you have to read the *complete* archive.

> What about partition table backup?

Why? If you have some files removed or destroyed by accident, you
don't need the partition table for a restore. If one of your disks
is damaged, you get a new one and have to use fdisk(8) and disklabel(8)
anyways, and the labels of all mounted disks are in /var/backups,
i.e. at least on the archive of your last full dump.

Ciao,
        Kili