Henning Brauer wrote:
* Matthias Kilian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2005-08-16 22:58]:

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 07:26:38PM +0000, Baldur Sigurpsson wrote:
[...]

Clever. A password-protected power switch...

Actually, I have configured the bios on my laptop to ask for a password before even loading any kernel or doing anything, and it was quite simple actually. not only is it good for security reasons, but it also gives me time to hit f12 or f2 to choose the boot-device or enter bios-setup;)

Indeed, very secure. If I've physical access to your laptop, all I
need is a screwdriver to open it, pull out the disk and connect it
to another machine.

hmm... I have to say, you got me there :/

/me opens his head with a screwdriver

at least it is good for the timing thing, and one could not do this without some time alone with the laptop, anonther computer, and, ofcourse, a screwdriver;) this hack would be easy if the someone would steel the laptop, but if someone would want a short look into it behind my back in a sneaky manner, _that_ would become quite hard;)

why the hassle, there are master passwords for those biosses, and they're not that hard to find out.

Didn't I make it clear that I choose the password myself, or am I misunderstanding something?

Regards, Baldur