On Thursday 18 August 2005 10:16, Timothy Donahue wrote:
> The only way to recover information off of a disk that has the ata security
> password protection implemented correctly is to transplant the platters into
> another disk (of the same type).

The c't article, the link to which I posted to misc@ yesterday, stated that a
data
recovery company was able to retrieve the user disk password (set by the
authors
of the article) from the disk, aparently without opening (and thus voiding the
warranty of)  the disk. This statement, if true, would contracdict your
assertion.
I do believe that your assertion will become true in the future.