Dave Wickberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just recently installed OpenBSD 3.7 (Release) on a Celeron 466 w/
> 256MB of RAM.
>
> I created a boot floppy and from there the install went flawlessly.
> However, after booting the systems for first time I am getting a
> kernel page fault error as soon as I try to type in a userid.
>
> This is what I'm seeing after waiting for the login prompt and hitting one
> key:
> ---
> OpenBSD/i386 (wormy.starbase) (ttyC0)
>
> login: kernel: page fault trap, code = 0
> Stopped at        pckbc_enqueue_cmd+0x7d: sbbb      0(%eax),%al
> ddb> kernel: page fault trap, code = 0
> Faulted in DDB; continuing...
> ddb>
> ---

do you happen to see a message about including a "ps" and "trace" with
your problem report?

> I'm left at a debugger prompt that seems functional so I may be able
> to pull some more info if required.

output of "ps" and "trace" at the ddb> prompt...

> I can log into the machine via ssh normally (as long as I don't touch
> the local keyboard and trigger the error). Any idea what might be
> going on?

ok, that wins a prize for originality... :)

> Thanks,
> Dave
>
> P.S. dmesg below:

and that wins a look...

> OpenBSD 3.7 (GENERIC) #50: Sun Mar 20 00:01:57 MST 2005
>     [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
> cpu0: Intel Celeron ("GenuineIntel" 686-class, 128KB L2 cache) 468 MHz
> cpu0:
> FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR
> real mem  = 267952128 (261672K)
> cmpci0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0 "C-Media Electronics CMI8338A Audio"
> rev 0x10: irq 9
> audio0 at cmpci0
> isa0 at pcib0
> isadma0 at isa0
> pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5
> pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
> pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
> wskbd0 at pckbd0 (mux 1 ignored for console): console keyboard, using
> wsdisplay0
> pms0 at pckbc0 (aux slot)
> pckbc0: using irq 12 for aux slot
> wsmouse0 at pms0 mux 0
> ne0: irq 9 already in use

Hello.
Looks like you have an ISA NIC in this thing.  It also isn't configuring
properly.  BTW: because of the way the ne(4) on ISA driver works, don't
believe that "irq 9" stuff at all, it could be set to anything.

> pcppi0 at isa0 port 0x61
> midi0 at pcppi0: <PC speaker>
> sysbeep0 at pcppi0
> lpt0 at isa0 port 0x378/4 irq 7
> npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: using exception 16
> pccom0 at isa0 port 0x3f8/8 irq 4: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
> pccom1 at isa0 port 0x2f8/8 irq 3: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
> fdc0 at isa0 port 0x3f0/6 irq 6 drq 2
> fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
> biomask ed65 netmask ef65 ttymask ffe7
> pctr: 686-class user-level performance counters enabled
> mtrr: Pentium Pro MTRR support
> dkcsum: wd0 matched BIOS disk 80
> root on wd0a
> rootdev=0x0 rrootdev=0x300 rawdev=0x302
> WARNING: / was not properly unmounted

you have a few "extra" things in there -- I'd remove them.  The ISA NIC,
the audio card (if possible, disable in BIOS if not possible to
physically remove), see if the thing settles down.

The ISA NIC has got my attention.  I'm not certain how that would mess
it up in this way, but it's the best idea I have at the moment.

Nick.