Rogier Krieger wrote:
On 8/20/05, Gary Clemans-Gibbon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

/dev/rwd1a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck_ffs MANUALLY.
Can't open /dev/rwd1a: Device not configured
CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.

You seem to have a hardware problem. Are you sure the system *detects*
your data drive?  The dmesg from startup should tell you which devices
the kernel detected. Better make sure it didn't die during the outage.

Beyond getting a /dev/wd1 back, you will probably want to run fsck(8)
after that. Read the man page. You do have backups, don't you?

Cheers,

Rogier

Hi Roger,

I just did fsck /dev/rwd1a and
rwd2a

I uncommented the two entries in fstab and rebooted. All seems OK. I am very relieved.

Basically I had a near heart attack because it couldn't run the checks during boot and was hanging like there was a HW problem. Only physically disconnecting the two drives and removing their entries from fstab manually would allow me to run fsck.

I'm wondering if I could have fed a command to the boot prompt that would have NOT mounted the two data drives.

Would single user mode have not mounted them? Is there some way of doing this at the boot prompt?

Still learning...

thanks for all the help as always
Gary (much relieved)