On 16/08/2005, at 6:54 PM, J.C. Roberts wrote:

Great info Simon, thank you. All the DSL modems I've seen here in the
USA are ethernet based on the user side and as misfortune would have
it, many providers *require* using their particular modem, so the user
side of it is all that matters. It's all been consumer grade kit, even
though a lot of it is in business use, none the less, I have not seen
a DSL modem with ATM on the user side (probably because it would be
pointless to make it that way).

In Australia I am using a Netgear DG632 consumer grade ADSL MODEM/Router
with PPPoA. The 'A' refers to the line side, not the ethernet side which
runs into my OpenBSD firewall.

MODEM mode with this unit seems to be a "half bridge mode" which
actually works.

I don't know if the use of PPPoA is common in Australia, but every ADSL
MODEM/Router I have seen over here has had PPPoA as an option.