My problem was not with trying to reboot.  My problem was that the
system didn't log anything in dmesg or syslog.  I didn't even see any
traces that it had gone to sleep in the logs.  When the laptop woke up,
the network cards also woke up.  It was just that the screen was blank.
I didn't know if there were any other places to look for logs or other
error messages.