Hi JCR,

J.C. Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> As far as I can tell, you basically asked for the "right or preferred
> way" "of putting a filesystem onto a floppy"

Yes, that is exactly my question.

> The best answer I know is fdformat. It works. It's simple and it's the
> most commonly accepted way to do what you asked.

Please put me straight if I am mistaken, but for all I know,
fdformat does not create any filesystem on a floppy *at all*!
It does a low level format of the floppy i.e. organize the raw
data space into cylinders, heads and sectors, etc.

If you happen to have a filesystem on a floppy after doing
fdformat, then I am really puzzled.

The OpenBSD-FAQ-Section you seem to be referring to
must be the installation section "4.3.1 - Creating floppies on Unix"
but there, after preparing the floppy with fdformat, a filesystem
is put onto it with "dd if=floppy37.fs of=/dev/rfd0c bs=32k".

Michael