--On 25 August 2005 21:29 -0500, Kevin wrote:

I only know this because I'm trying to determine the best choice for
running two USB 802.11a adapters in the same machine, both in
"Host AP" mode,  at least one with an external antenna.

If they both must be in the same band, run long USB cables and give as much separation as you can. <http://lists.bawug.org/pipermail/wireless/2004-January/029035.html> But that might be academic, since I don't think there's a USB 802.11a you can use to run hostap on a free OS (there are a couple of Atheros 5005UX-based dongles, but no driver support or external antenna conn's). MiniPCI (on a PCI carrier if necessary) will probably give you the most options for cards.

fwiw (and it might not be important in your application), USB wi-fi tend to have lower power output than PC-card or MiniPCI, but this is often balanced by the ease of locating the radio and antenna in a suitable location without losing lots of signal down a lossy cable.