On 8/27/05, black reaper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Also, a BIOS password can be easily removed if one has physical access to
> the box. The small CMOS battery can be popped out, and put back in (on the
> motherboard), erasing your password.

Not always, actually.  I have a Dell laptop that's rumored to store
the password in some kind of ROM.  Whatever the technical aspects,
removing the battery (actually, cutting the leads to it) didn't remove
the password.

Note that I'm not actually suggesting this as an effective security
mechanism, since most of these laptops also have a "Master" password,
but this one didn't---or at least none of the ones I tried with the
help of a Dell support person worked.  Still, just important to
realize that it may or may not be as easy as popping a battery out and
in.

--
Christian Jones
[EMAIL PROTECTED]