Ramiro Aceves wrote:
Matty wrote:

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Stuart Henderson wrote:

--On 24 August 2005 10:37 +0200, Ramiro Aceves wrote:

pciide0:0:1: bus-master DMA error: missing interrupt, status=0x61
wd1a: device timeout reading fsbn 1489200 of 1489200-1489203 (wd1 bn
1489263; cn 1477 tn 7 sn 6), retrying
wd1: soft error (corrected)
wd1(pciide0:0:1): timeout
   type: ata
   c_bcount: 2048
   c_skip: 0
pciide0:0:1: bus-master DMA error: missing interrupt, status=0x61
wd1a: device timeout reading fsbn 1486176 of 1486176-1486179 (wd1 bn
1486239; cn 1474 tn 7 sn 6), retrying
wd1: soft error (corrected)

[etc]

All hard drives have bad blocks, most hard drives now have some spare
capacity. As the drive detects bad or failing blocks, the spare blocks
are automatically remapped over the bad blocks. This is internal to
the drive - by the time you start noticing drive errors, the drive is
usually unable to remap any more blocks.

smartmontools does a great job of notifying you prior to this occurring.
When you startup smartd to alert when S.M.A.R.T attributes change, you
can watch the drive slowly die over time. smartmontools is part of the
OpenBSD
ports tree in case you interested in giving it a spin.

Sometimes the manufacturer's drive-test tools can be useful
(Hitachi/IBM's DFT can do some basic tests on drives from other
manufacturers too). There's also a commercial program Spinrite which
claims to have good stress-tests.

Hello all,

First, I want to thank everyone who helped me with this weird issue.
Matty, thanks for you info, but this is a 10 year old disk, and does not
support the SMART facility. :-(

I have been doing some tests. I removed the drive, and placed it on a
older Pentium 133 MHz machine (of course changed  master/slave
settings). I installed OpenBSD there, played a lot with the drive until
I filled it with plenty of files, ran fsck and the result was that there
were not errors. Everything was just fine.

I moved the drive back to the "modern" AMD 1200 MHz athlon, and after
the same hard disk marathon, ran fsck, there were not errors!!.
I have concluded that:

- Thre was a bad cable connection. Unplugging and plugging the cable
again fixed the problem.

- I have done this tests with the box _opened_. Perhaps there are some
heating problems in the disk that I am going to investigate further
(this disk is in the middle of the main disk and the floppy drive, so I
guess it gets hot.

- I have not wait enough time for the problem to occur.

Many thanks to all.
I will keep you informed in case the issues come again.

Ramiro.
EA1ABZ.

I hope you are not storing any valuable data on a 10 year old hdd...

--
Gudni Thor Bjorgvinsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>