I actually hacked an existing util for NetBSD to run flawlessly on OpenBSD (I have a Dell inspiron 700m).

You can get it here:

http://lysergik.com/~tony/openbsd.phtml

Baldur Sigurpsson wrote:
hi

use this thing:

http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/i855vidctl/

just remember to put the command in /etc/rc.securelevel because on openbsd you cannot access some devices you need to, in contrast to linux.

works on my dell inspiron 500m with the 855GM crap:)

Regards, Baldur

Uwe Dippel wrote:

... a continuation of around a year ago
('Warning: Possible Bug in BIOS DELL Latitude D400_A06 !')
It is still valid for 3.7.
In the meantime, the problem has turned out to be really a problem of
crappy DELL BIOSes; now at A08 it still does the same:
Any activation of X freezes the machine completely with a yellowish screen.

855wrap on http://www.chzsoft.com.ar/855patch.html solves this. On Linux.
There you compile a binary and run it before starting X. On any machine.
Now I tried to do the same on OpenBSD with the expected result:'Abort trap'.
Not quite so expected was, that the source didn't want to compile on
OpenBSD 3.7:
make: don't know how to make %.c.
Stop in ......

I bet quite a few newer DELL notebooks are affected; and I appreciate any
suggestion how to make it work on OpenBSD.
I read the archives here and googled. No result.

Uwe

--
Tony Lambiris [ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
"so if it is really hard for you then perhaps you are just