I have a problem, which will probably end up being a stupid mistake.
I have 3.7 running (fresh install) using the stock BIND and DHCP systems

My problem is that I cannot get the default domain to work.

So:
        dig www

does not work, while
        dig www.domainname.com

does work fine.

Things I have checked:

resolv.conf
Has the: domain domainname.com
I also tried the search domainname.com entry also

I read that dig gets its default from the hostname, so I checked my
hostname setting: core.domainname.com
(Set in /etc/myname)

I have it running its own named server, without any connections to
forward at this time, which resolves the full domain name fine.

I've tried adding the /etc/defaultdomain file, which I did not think
had anything to do with it, but to no avail.

If I do dig www +domain=domainname.com it works fine (but I would
expect that to)

I tried googling but nothing good... or helpful.

What am I missing?  Everything I read says this should work...

Thanks for any advice on this