--On 06 September 2005 10:16 +0200, Stephan A. Rickauer wrote:

>There is one thing I still don't understand. What effort is it to
>deliver patches (not backports) longer than just a few month - given
>that the overall amount of patches per release is low with OpenBSD
>anyway... let's say you have four security relevant patches per
>release, then you had 20 in 2.5 years ...

Development does not stand still. There are *huge* differences in some
areas of OpenBSD over two years of time.  In many cases, some are designed
to block new areas of attack, and to clean-up code in a major way.

Forcing you to update at least once every two releases is a good way to
make sure you benefit from all these changes.

And evaluating those changes, and porting back whatever may have some
security relevance is too hard.

If you prefer: some developer rewrites some code to clean it up at time T.
Then a new attack comes up at time T2 that targets that specific area.
We discover that OpenBSD is not affected... well, if the gap between T and
T2 is greater than two releases, we do not even check that the old code
was affected.

This happens more often than you would think.