> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 15:25:29 -0500, John Brooks wrote:
>
> >My office network has an adsl connection with a single static
> >ip as follows:
> >
> >   209.145.160.141/24  (gw 209.145.160.1)
> >
> >I requested additional ip's from my provider and they gave me
> >8 addresses at:
> >
> >   207.246.198.216/29
> >
> >They are routing all 8 of these new addresses down my adsl
> >'pipe'. On my OBSD box I can alias any of these 8 addresses
> >to the outward facing nic and reach them from the outside,
> >so I know that they work.
> >
> >Now I want to set up another OBSD box to use one of these
> >addresses (which are no longer aliased to the first box).
> >

> >(209.145.160.141)
> >OBSD #1 ---------
> >                 \
> >                 Switch ---- DSL Modem ---- ISP(209.145.160.1)
> >                 /
> >OBSD #2 ---------
> >(207.246.198.220)
> >
> >I was expecting that 207.246.198.217 would have been set up as
> >the gateway on the ISP's end, leaving me with 5 useable addresses.
> >
> >I don't want to NAT box #2 behind box #1. Are there some
> >routing commands that would allow me to send traffic to
> >the ISP from box #2 using these new IP's?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >--
> >John Brooks
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >

> Hi John,
>
> I've been doing the ADSL with a routed /29 for servers in addition to
> having a NATted LAN behind the same firewall. You can probably use some
> of the tricks I get up to to conserve addresses.

JB: My thoughts were to not be behind the firewall with box #2, but 'next'
    to it. But I'm open to all alternative methods. Having multiple options
    is always a good thing.

> Let us know what modem you are using, whether you are doing PPPoE or
> PPPoA or whatever and I'll tailor my reply to suit. You can get into
> lots of frustration by taking "obvious" approaches to this problem,
> only to find that they result in more problems rather than solutions.

JB: The dsl modem is a straight bridge. No PPPoE or PPPoA. What goes in
    the front comes out the back. I have a single static IP on a /24
    network with a normal gateway address - plus these 8 additional IP's
    they are now sending down my wire.

> I don't see why you need all of that pain.

JB: I appreciate that... (sometimes a little pain can be a good thing,
    especially if something new is learned)