Read at least the mindshare books on ISA and PCI.  Let me warn you that the
mindshare books are very complementary and for one to be able to fully grasp
their content you really should buy and read them all.  This will set you back
a few hundred $$$ but it is the de-facto standard on PC architecture.  FWIW,
PnP is dead and no longer relevant.  It made sense in the old ISA + PCI days
but now it really is redundant.  If you read some books that I'll link you to
and read the PnP spec you might actually get what its all about.

Examples:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201309742/qid=1126929191/sr=8-8/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/102-5807367-4514550?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201409968/qid=1126929191/sr=8-14/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i7_xgl14/102-5807367-4514550?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Some other very valuable reading: