On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 11:40:42 +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:

>--On 17 September 2005 09:39 +1000, Rod.. Whitworth wrote:
>
>> My question is: Will this be a relaible set-up for both purposes?
>> Usually we have the console port running 9600 no handshakes. I'll bet
>> RDP looks very sad on that setting.
>
>You probably know or can guess most of this anyway but it doesn't hurt
>to say ...
>
>If you're running console and PPP through the same port, you'll want to
>make sure syslog isn't logging to /dev/console.

I've been turning that off for years where it is pointless and now
that's the default.

> Running a modem on the
>bootup console, you'll want to make sure that dmesg and comBIOS initial
>output don't confuse the modem (comBIOS can be told to shut up, 'set
>fastboot=enabled' in 1.28 works nicely for this).

Yes, I'm on that one.

>> The 4801 docs say that we should use a terminal set at 19200N81 with
>> no flow control. I know we can change the speed - I always set it to
>> 9600 just to match the OpenBSD default. What the docs don't say is
>> whether handshaking works in initial console access or after boot or
>> both.
>
>comBIOS doesn't use handshaking - after the OS is in control, it's a
>standard serial port to use as you like. There's always the slightly
>messy option of setting comBIOS at a lower speed to cope with the lack
>of handshaking and setting 115200 in /etc/ttys to improve modem
>performance.

That <will> take some testing. 8-)

>There's always the option of putting the modem onto a different port
>(either the second onboard port, though you'll have to hack the case,
>or USB serial), this doesn't let you leave the modem on auto-answer and
>remotely fix an early failure, though you probably don't want that from
>a security point-of-view.

Well, case hacking isn't the end of the world but losing the ability to
get to the boot process is not my idea of a win.

The security issue is a judgement call. I'm trying to get one of the
modems that waits for a number string before proceeding. Nearly every
modem can do the call-out side of that with the
wait-for-5-seconds-silence option. The answering side is a bit less
common. In any case with the modem set to answer after several rings &
needing a login/password to get anywhere either for a shell or ppp we
think we'll risk it. The existing system needs a chap login anyway.

>fwiw, the second onboard port is one of two 'industry standard'
>pinouts, the one for use where the 9-pin connector is IDC rather than
>soldered.
 Yep. I even have some old "planks" with DE9 connectors on a 10wire
ribbon ready for that but, as I said before, I don't want to lose boot
console access.

I'm half tempted to jig up a smarty box with one RS232 input and two
rs232 outputs and do some sneaky switching stuff. Maybe I should... and
sell it to Soekris. If only I was not so busy, my old circuit design
and PCB layout skills could get recycled. ;-)  Hmmm,.... make that one
eighth tempted.

Thanks for the input. I'll eventually report on what goes and what does
not.

>From the land "down under": Australia.
Do we look <umop apisdn> from up over?

Do NOT CC me - I am subscribed to the list.
Replies to the sender address will fail except from the list-server.