I have run across the same problem.  The issue here is that that a
client must connect to a port greater than 1023 from a port greater than
1023 (at least that is my current experience) and that the only way for
this to work is for you to allow any system inside your LAN to connect
to any port > 1023 outside your LAN - and allow the reply traffic into
your system.

The FTP proxy still handles the initial connection, but since the second
connection comes from a random port on the client PC to a random port on
the server - I don't believe there is any way to both allow Passive FTP
and block all but certain traffic - if that traffic communicates using
ports greater than 1023.

A good for instance is trying to stop things like VNC.  With default
deny and only allowing particular ports we are able to stop things like
outgoing VNC - except to PC's we want to allow it to - without having to
create specific block rules.  In order to allow Passive FTP (wasn't
Passive FTP supposed to be "firewall friendly" - :) we have to open up
access to all ports over 1023 for all clients that might use it.  So in
the end we have create a block quick rule to prevent specifically the
ports over 1023 that we do not wish to allow (such as 5900 - VNC) - in
essence except for the low ports < 1023 - creating a pass all rule.

This - of course is not a problem with PF - but with the passive FTP
specification.  I don't know if there is another way around this other
than only allowing Active FTP (kind of ironic) behind the firewall and
thereby allowing the ftp-proxy to handle the connections.

Not really an answer on how to solve it - but hope it helps answer the
question.  If anyone else has additional insight......

- Brian Shackelford