On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 08:24:15PM -0700, Bryan Irvine wrote:
> > Some intelligent scripts look at tcp responses to port scans, ssh
> > responds with SSH-2.0, which isn't too hard to identify. I don't know if
> > changing the greeting would break the protocol, but I suspect it might
> > break certain clients.
>
> I wonder if it's possible to "fingerprint" these programs.  I actually
> have a copy of the ssh-scanner that they use.  I got it by looking at
> the hack logs on a Linux server and going to the same FTP site they
> used (anonymous ftp even ;).
I use the blocker script from this article. Seems to work pretty well. I'd just
block Linux but I have a few friends who have yet to see the OpenBSD light.
http://www.undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20041231195454&mode=expanded

> The program that most of you see is probably "Skara".  If you're
> interested you run the program by doing "./a xxx.xxx" where xxx.xxx is
> the first 2 octects of the network you want to scan (it only does
> class b).  Once it finds all the servers running ssh, it then forks
> and runs "ssh-scan" on each and just crashes through the dictionary,
> till it finds some servers, and reports the findings.  Usually
> something stupid like "admin/admin" or "vmail/vmail".  I ran it on my
> network to look for things that may have been done sloppily.  I
> actually did find one server where someone had created a user of
> "test" with the pasword of "test"...nice.
>
> As long as you have secure passwords, I'd recomend just logging in as
> a standard user, and using su so that you don't see all those logs.
Yeah. This is only a threat against *really* weak boxes. Having said that I've
seen a lot of posts talking about changing ports. That's a line that I won't
cross. I refuse to hide from the bots and it's not even a speedbump against
somebody who is a real threat. But that just my personalline in the sand.

--
BOFH excuse #345:

Having to manually track the satellite.