Marc,

I didn't mean to offend anyone.  I honestly was trying to help.  Some
other newbie could run into the same problem some time.  I posted this
for their benefit.  That is all.  I thought it might help deflect
questions from gurus and developers who have better things to do.

As I stated, this happened from the install.  I didn't change it.  Not
only did it happen, but it happened 3 times.  I installed 3.6, and it
did it.  I got a new hard drive, and did a complete reinstall, it did it
again, then when I upgraded to 3.7, it still had the perms of 600.

I assure you, never once did the command "chmod" ever escape my
fingertips until after these problems arose (and that was to fix them).
The system was pristine, I updated as per the docs to the stable branch
(each time), and installed KDE components (and whatever their
dependencies were) using pkg_add.  And that is it.  Nothing more.

In the entire /usr/lib/ directory, libcrypto was the only library with
the mode of 600.  In the /dev/ directory, apm was the only file with the
mode 600.  So, it is strange.  I certainly didn't single these files out
and change perms on them.  But, it is possible that I might have done
something different than most... maybe it is that I ran KDE as root
before I ran it as my user... I don't know.  But even if I screwed up
(which I don't see how, but I know I'm not perfect), I thought I should
post the solution for the benefit of the community.

I'm sorry if I upset anyone.  I meant no offense.

Chris