On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 09:22:51PM -0400, stan wrote:
> I find myself in the position sometimes when away from home having access
> to only M$ machines with a base OS load only.
Things I've learned from travel.

1. Carry a copy of putty on every form of media you can think of. I have one my
camera. Often you can get someone to let you plug *something* in and putty
pretty much just works.
2. If, like for example the public consoles at Changi and Narita, you can't
plug in any media pull up the putty download page and choose the "run
application" option from the IE download dialog. Putty runs just fine. This was
tested at both airports and a handful of .sgian "cybercafes".
3. Thanks to putty there is no need to resort back to telnet.

> I don;t have telnet open on my home network, but i was considering opening
> it up on the OpenbD firewall, and using some sort of one time password
> scheme.
>
> Would this be a sane thing to do? and f so, where cold  find some software
> to support the one time password functionality?
Yes. But do it *with* ssh. Can't be too carful about keyloggers.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq8.html#SKey

--
BOFH excuse #276:

U.S. Postal Service