When using ATA drives, I have to make a choice between write caching or soft
updates, since write caching with soft updates creates an unsafe situation.
Which gives better performance? Write caching without soft updates or soft
updates without write caching?

If soft updates without write caching is superior, what's the best way to
disable write caching? Currently I'm doing an "atactl wd0 writecachedisable"
in /etc/rc.local, which runs pretty late in the startup sequence.

Thanks for the help.

I don't control the disclaimer at the end of this message.

This message may contain information that is privileged, confidential and
recipient of this message you may not store, disclose, copy, forward,
distribute or use this message or its contents for any purpose. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by return
e-mail and delete the original message and any attachments from your e-mail
system. Thank you.