On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 13:28:28 -0700
Joe S <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spake:

> Is anyone on the list running an Ultra 5 as firewall? I would like to
> move my firewall from an overpowered P4-3GHz box to a Sun Ultra 5 360MHz.
>
> My main concern is wondering if the Ultra 5 is slow enough to become a
> bottleneck from one interface to another interface. However, I know some
> of you run Soekris boxen and 486's for firewalls, so I may be just fine.
>
> Any thoughts?

I dunno know about a Sun 360Mhz, but I just set up a AMD 350Mhz with
two 100MB cards and can filter at about 70Mb/sec (9,000 pkt / sec)
across it (100Mb networks).  This is with two FA311 cards.  If your
firewalling an internet connection it should be more than fine.
Turning on PF caused a bit of a drop (to the above stats) but after
that not much seemed to phase it.  I did some tests turning on and off
quick / scrub / etc / etc if anyone is interested.

* tests done using iperf, netstat and two cross over cables.  hitech
stuff here :)

--

Bill Chmura
Director of Internet Technology