STOP -- DON'T DO ANYTHING ELSE w/o expert help at your side.

Justin Wong wrote:
Hi, I was wondering if you could help me.
After searches on the internet turned up nothing, I found your site about
your love for OpenBSD..... My problem is that when I boot, I get an error
/dev/rwd0a BAD SUPER BLOCK: VALUES IN SUPER BLOCK DISAGREE WITH THOSE IN
FIRST ALTERNATE.
Then, on the same 13 gig drive, the error,"
/dev/rwd0a UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY RUN fsck_ffs MANUALLY"
. Later on, I also get an error from my other HardDRive which is a 200 gig
Seagate. This drive is also getting many errors. I did not realise it, but I
guess I had formatted it in NTFS.

How can you format a disk and not realize it?  Do you mean you
formatted a disk already containing data?  ... do you mean you
formatted the disk and then transferred the data to it?  Are
you set up for dual booting of Windows and OBSD?  Otherwise how
did NTFS get involved.  You need to describe your environment
and the sequence of steps preceding your catastrophe.

This HardDrive contains many files of
which are very important (3 years worth of files and a few thousand family
photos).

Data is only important if it is treated as though it is important.
If it's important, then it's backed up.

The only thing I can remember that might be related to the error is that the
computer would not shut down the previous night. I am relatively new to
OpenBSD so I shurgged it off as I held the power button down. I made sure
the HDD activity light was off.

When you typed the "shutdown" or "halt" command, what happened?

I am using OpenBSD 3.7.
When I type "login" I get a #sh not found error and it seems to continue.
From there I get thousands of errors where the computer tells me to fsck.
From my view, it looks like both filesystems became corrupted. I really need
these files.

You are probably correct in thinking both filesystems are corrupted.

A liveCD of Ubuntu doesn't seem to be working as it can't read the 200 gig
drive.

The Ubintu CD is working just fine.  You are asking the programs
on it to perform a task they cannot do.

The 13 gig drive comes up with a nod error every couple or so nodes
with fsck. Ubuntu won't even read the 200 gig drive. Can you please help me
at least to recover hte files? Any suggestions would help. THe computer is a
500Mhz K6 with the 13 gig drive run as master and the 200 gig drive as
slave.

I don't mean to be unkind during your distress, but this is entirely
the result of you own actions.  Trying to run fsck on an NTFS filesystem
is likely to make any recovery impossible.

Some of these files are photographs of my now deceased grandfather
and are very important.

I'm sorry to say this, but your files may be irretrievably gone.
The best advice I can give at this point is to find somebody
who has expert knowledge of whichever file system is involved
(BSD or NTFS) and let them take over.  Maybe there is a data
disk recovery shop near you.  The good ones are expensive.

Thank you for your time.

Da nada,  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

All the best,
Ray