Constantine A. Murenin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an external USB 2.0 storage device with OpenBSD i386
> installation and some free space. Is it possible to install
> OpenBSD/macppc on that spare space without breaking my i386
> installation?

ew, ick.

> How will it all work? Would it be possible to share /etc,

Since /etc is on the root partition, NO.
Since /etc holds configuration and your macppc and i386 machines will
have different configurations, NO.

> /var and
> /home partitions between i386 and macppc? Could the HDD be bootable on
> both i386 and macppc?

My inital response is "no", you couldn't share a disk like this.
My secondary response is "maybe", I've got some ideas how it *might* be
done, but I can think of ONLY one reason to do this: learning the boot
process on both platforms very intimately.  And that is a lesson best
taught to one's self.

If you are trying to save money, go get a job slinging burgers, take
your income and buy a new disk.  You will invest less time doing that
than you will fighting this battle.  It is just not worth it.

BTW: If you try this, count on that "some free space" turning into "all
free space" a few times, usually accidently, though probably at least
once deliberately.

Nick.