Jaap Versteegh wrote:
Gary Clemans-Gibbon wrote:

I guess therefore that I don't need SASL or any authenticated SMTP. I'm
guessing that I need somehow to allow relaying

in mail.cf ?
http://www.metaconsultancy.com/whitepapers/smtp.htm#s6

and then to block port 25
on the external interface to stop ppl outside the server connecting to
relay spam.

Are you sure that your ISP isn't doing exactly this on their gateway in
order to prevent you from spamming ;) ?

Jaap Versteegh

.

What ISP? The server is co-located and nothing is blocked other than what I block with pf.

Thanks for that link - very useful. I've tried a couple of things in main.cf..

mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
and
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, permit

but still no luck.

FWIW when the mail fails I also get the following line in the browser window...

Mailer Error: Language string failed to load: [EMAIL PROTECTED]