J Moore wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 07:47:48AM -0400, the unit calling itself Nick
> Holland wrote:
>
>>> Not quite sure what point you're trying to make here... are you
>>> advocating that one develop expertise in all areas to become totally
>>> self-sufficient? If so, I suppose you are all at once: thoracic
>>> surgeon, firefighter, psychiatrist, tax lawyer, microbiologist, etc,
>>> etc, etc.
>
>> No, I'm advocating that if you pick of a scalpel, that you understand
>> how to perform surgery on the species you are going to be cutting on.
>> If you pick up a fire hose, you understand what happens when the water
>> hits full pressure.  Etc.  Taxes?  ok, got me there, no one
>> understands tax law.
>
> And I'm suggesting that trying to be an expert in everything is not a
> realistic goal... why pick up a scalpel at all (to "haul your butt out
> of the fire") if your neighbor has invested years in becoming a thoracic
> surgeon? If surgery is required, I would choose to let the experienced
> surgeon haul my butt out of the fire, and concentrate my energy in my
> field of interest. Sorry if I confused you on that point.

>From your original post, you said you did not desire to become an expert
on RAID.  You didn't talk about farming the maintenance of this system
to other people.

>> RAID systems in the hands of people who assume "magic will happen" cause
>> massive down-time problems.  In the hands of people who know how to do
>> it, yes, good things really can happen.  But I doubt there are any truly
>> mindless RAID options available.
>
> Now I'm confused... are you suggesting that the investment required to
> successfully use an ACS-7500 even approaches that required for the
> "do-it-yourself" RAID setup?

Not at all.
A car with an automatic transmission is much easier to drive than a car
with a stick shift.  However, without proper training, you can hurt
yourself and others with either.

The Accusys boxes are very simple, seemingly reliable, but if you don't
play with them for a bit and understand how they work, you can still can
screw things up.  IN FACT, there are so many neat things you can do with
the Accusys boxes, you might be tempted to do something silly and wrong,
believing that it will save you from everything.

If you aren't willing to learn how the thing works, your overall
reliability and uptime will probably be better with a single drive, no
RAID at all.  Sure, the drive could fail, but your recovery options will
be very clear and direct.

Nick.